Monday, September 11, 2006

Another blog day.

Today was a little sucky, just because it turned out different than I expected and I worked a longer day than I thought I would. But other than that, it wasn't too bad.

I miss Rich's blog.

I always enjoy it whenever Eric's sister Amy posts a new blog. She's such a good writer that even though I don't know her very well, I always enjoy reading what she's writing.

Because I can, and because this is a blog, and because you have no choice but to read it, I will now write about what I was doing 5 years ago, on Sept. 11, 2001:

I was living in St. Louis at the time, but happened to be visiting Baltimore, and I was actually scheduled to be flying back to St. Louis later in the afternoon. The flight was cancelled, of course. I was staying with BJ and Pat at their 12th floor apartment in the Marylander at St. Paul and University Parkway, just up the street from where I live now. The night before there had been a fire just down their hallway, and the whole building had been evacuated.
BJ had gone into work at CSC relatively early that morning, and I woke up to the sound of him leaving a message on the answering machine: (spoken in typical loud-nasal BJ voice) "Uh, hi guys, it's BJ. I was just calling to see if you guys were up because there's been some strange things happening, uh, terrorist activity, and I don't know if Dan's going to be able to get out of Baltimore. I wanted to see if you guys were up. Talk to you later." Or something to that effect. I remember him mentioning terrorist activity and thinking to myself, "What in the fuck is he talking about?" So I turned on the TV and saw what was happening and went in to Pat's room to wake him up, and I distinctly remember him laying naked on his bed and seeing his big ol' Pat-ass sticking up in the air. I don't remember if I woke him up or not.

The rest of the day was spent figuring out how to get me back to St. Louis relatively quickly, since all the flights were cancelled. A strange set of coincidences occured and it ended up that BJ had to drive to Texas to replace an actor that was on tour, so it was decided that he would leave for Texas that afternoon, stop in St. Louis to drop me off and stay at my apartment for a few hours of sleep, and then continue on to Texas the next day. So BJ and I left Baltimore at around 2 in the afternoon, and it took a hell of a long time to get out of the city, and we drove halfway across the country in Heidi and Ian's Pathfinder, listening mostly to NPR when we got a good signal (I remember a news story about members of Congress standing outside the Capital singing, 'God Bless America' or something like that and thinking that that was a strange thing to do), and pulled into St. Louis at around 5 in the morning. It was a very surreal day.

Right now I'm waiting for Jeannie to get home so we can eats us some dinner. I just had 2 pickles, one baby sweet and one bread-and-butter. I would like to have a beer tonight but don't know if I should. The other day on my day off I got out my recording equipment and did some recording that I was initially excited about but then it all got too convoluted and muddy and I erased it all. Elizabeth called out from work today.

No comments: