Thursday, August 20, 2026

Rio Bravo

The title of this post comes from the fact that I have been watching the 1959 film Rio Bravo, starring John Wayne, Dean Martin, and Ricky Nelson, the last few nights. My first John Wayne film. I find him to be strangely beautiful, and not at all the tough-guy American that I was expecting.  I'm watching the film because a few months ago my brother sent me a clip of Dean Martin and Ricky Nelson singing a song in the movie that I thought was really amazing. Later I'm going to try and find the clip on YouTube and post it here. 

**EDIT** here it is:  




This morning I've been reading through old blog posts.  I'm so grateful to have them.  I'm I'm at the point where my memory is crap enough that I don't remember a lot of the stuff I was writing about.  It's nice to read about when Sam was a tiny baby.  It's nice to read about when we were renovating our house.  Nice to read about when we were still renovating the theater, or even when I was working at the B&N.  It's nice to read things that I thought were funny at the time, and when I'm reading them now I laugh again.  I was pretty funny. 

Sam-o started high school orientation this week.  Unbelievable.  He's liking it so far, and I'm so excited for him.  I think he's going to have a great high school experience. 

Anna's been having a lot of anxiety at bedtime, so the night-time routine at our house is pretty rococo.  But I appreciate the extra time that we get to spend together.  On occasion, when her anxiety is really bad, she and I have gone for late-night runs together.  They instantly calm her down, and then when we get home she is able to fall immediately asleep.  We've also been going to the Y together on Monday nights, where I go to yoga class and she goes on the elliptical machines and watches YouTube while ellipticaling. 

Marriage still in limbo/on hold, and no news on the myelodysplastic syndrome front.  

I've had a harder time finding motivation and enjoyment for a couple of weeks, but I'm not worried about it. Will keep on keepin' on, and get through that shit.  

Dermatologist appointment today!  Dermatologist appointment today!

No comments: